You may think that for Found it’s only about the glitz and glamour of the Social and Influencer industry… the long lunches with LA stars, the award nights, rubbing shoulders with Stormzy, filming in Shoreditch… the list goes on. Whilst this is all true, we don’t just do the cool stuff, we back it all up with hard, cold facts. Like Jay – Z once said, ‘men lie, women lie, numbers don’t.’
I wanted to share the top 12 social media stats with you for 2019. Keep these in mind when considering where your brand is best placed to succeed in the social spectrum as we enter another year that will no doubt be rife with new and exciting developments in the world of social media.
- Facebook continues to be the most popular social networking site in terms of the number of active users. As of October 2018, it has a little over 2 billion active users. Over 1/5th of the world’s’ population.
- Facebook usage among teens is dropping gradually according to the latest social media statistics. While 71% of teens claimed to use the platform in a 2015, the number has now dropped to 51%.
- Facebook is the second favourite platform for consuming videos after YouTube. 40% of consumers said that they watch the most videos on Facebook.
- Brands see a median engagement rate of 0.16% per Facebook post.
What we can learn:
Even though brands are mainly flocking to Instagram over recent times, Facebook still packs a punch. Whilst teens are more likely to engage with a brand on Instagram now, Facebook is still the second biggest platform for video content behind the Daddy of video, YouTube. Keep in mind, though, that it still can’t boast a better median engagement rate for brands than Instagram, which is something to remember when engaging in social content strategies.
- Instagram continues to attract a younger audience with 72% of teens saying that they use the platform. This is an impressive increase from 2015 when 52% of teens said that they used the platform.
- In terms of engagement, Instagram is ahead of Facebook with a median engagement rate of 1.73% per post for brands.
- The ad spending on Instagram is now 23% higher than on Facebook according to an internal analysis by Merkle.
- Videos get 21.2% more interactions compared to images, and 18.6% more interactions compared to carousels.
What we can learn:
If your target market is teens, USE INSTAGRAM! It tops Facebook for engagement for brands and is the fastest growing platform for teens since 2015. It tops Facebook for median brand engagement and is also the best place to run your ads, in particular video ads that get more engagement than images and carousels, so dust off the Canon and get creative with your ad budget!
- According to HubSpot, LinkedIn is 277% more effective at lead generation than Facebook and Twitter. The reason for this because more often LinkedIn users are high-level decision-makers.
- 89% of B2B marketers include LinkedIn in their digital marketing mix.
- It’s also the platform most used by salespeople to engage with their clients/prospects. 73% of B2B companies said they use it for this purpose.
- A fair amount of people (34%) also reach out to brands on social media so they can commend them on their products or services. Brands should use all of these instances as an opportunity to build relationships.
What we can learn:
If you’re in the B2B business and after leads over brand awareness, then LinkedIn is the place for you. A huge amount of videos cut through to key decision makers on LinkedIn and if you’re a brand then this is where you need to be. If you want to own and maintain that great customer black book, reach out to your favourite brands on social media, they should reply and that way the customer doesn’t feel like a number on a spreadsheet and they gain that social trust.
Overall with such a difficult scene to navigate, it’s sometimes not best to do this alone. This is where we come in, as Found offers all round, integrated digital marketing services that can elevate your brand to the dizzy heights. With experts in the SEO, PPC, Social and Influencer marketing there’s no need to go anywhere else. Have a look at some of the groundbreaking projects we’ve worked on in the last year here. Get in touch and get Found!